Lead Structural Engineer – Offshore Constructions
Offshore, Oil, Gas & Energy
Area of Rotterdam, The Netherlands
What’s it all about?
As a Lead Structural Engineer you will design concept-, basis- and detail designs for fixed offshore structures with the focus on the substructures. These substructures consist of jackets; tripods; monopiles; transition pieces for the Offshore Wind Industry and Oil & Gas production facilities.
You will be working at our clients office in Schiedam with the flexibility to work 50% of your time from home. Working for our cliens means that you will be part of an multicultural team of professionals in an informal and collegiate working atmosphere. To ensure a nice balance between work and fun, various social events and activities are being organized as well! The department where you will be working consists of approx. 30 Structural (Lead) Designers and (Lead) Engineers.
Which personality fits this position?
You are eager to learn and you strive for the best result every day. You are able to work independently, but also work well in a team of colleagues. You can keep an overview and you have organizational talent. But you also have the (communication) skills to deal well with clients, as you will need to advise them and to maintain the relationship.
What will you do as a Lead Structural Engineer – Offshore Constructions?
Our Lead Structural Engineer will lead his own team of structural engineers and monitor the progress and planning. You will advise on technical matters in other projects and act in a consultancy role towards our clients. You will perform the necessary design analyses together with the team and studies with accompanying reports independently. You will also be coaching other engineers and on behalf of the client you will be monitoring and discussing the progress with project manager and with the client on occasion.
To give you a better understanding of the job we described your day to day activities below.
As a Lead Structural Engineer you will be engineering projects for the Offshore Wind Market such as:
- The complete structural design of substructures (jackets, monopiles et cetera) for Offshore SubStations (OSS) including the transportation and installation thereof;
- The complete structural design of topsides for Offshore SubStations (OSS) including the transportation and installation thereof;
- The design of transport and installation provisions such as lifting points, spreader frames, guides, bumpers, grillages, seafastening et cetera;
- The design of secondary steel components such as working platforms, boatlandings, J-tubes, cable hang-off clamps, anode cages et cetera.
For the Offshore Oil & Gas market you will engineer;
- The complete design of substructures (jackets, tripods, monopiles et cetera) including transportation and installation thereof;
- The complete design of topsides including transportation and installation thereof;
- The design of installation provisions such as lifting points, spreader frames, guides, bumpers, grillages, seafastening et cetera;
- The design of platform components such as Living Quarters, (Blast)walls, bridges, ventstacks, flarebooms, crane pedestals, helidecks, boatlandings, riserclamps, bumpers et cetera;
- The design of platform modifications such as deck extensions & modifications for new or replacement of equipment;
- The design of subsea structures such as wellhead protection frames, side tap protection structures and PLEMS & PLETS;
- The decommissioning engineering for topside and substructures;
- Platform Life Time extension studies.
In order to deliver the designs you will make global strength analyses consisting of:
Load out, Upending, Lifting, Transport, Transport fatigue, Installation/stabbing, On-bottom/Unpiled, In-place, In-place fatigue, Vessel impact/collision, Seismic, Redundancy/Pushover, Lifetime extensions, Foundation piles, Pile drivability and more.
And you will also make detailed strength calculations for:
Welded connections, Grillage and Seafastening, Vessel/barge deck strength , Nodes & joints (eg diamond plates), Detailed buckling checks of shell structures, Lifting points (eg padeyes & trunnions), Rigging selection, Weight and Centre of Gravity (CoG)/ Centre of Buoyancy (CoB) calculations, Weight Control Reports, Bolted connections and more.
What else is required for the job?
We consider it important for this position that you bring the following skills:
- A Master’s Degree in Mechanical/structural Engineering (Offshore);
- 12+ years of experience as structural engineer in the design of fixed offshore structures;
- 5+ years of experience as lead engineer;
- Extensive experience with the design of platform substructures and topsides;
- Advanced user of SACS and/or Sesam software; Software experience with ANSYS, FEMAP and StaadPro is a plus;
- Extensive knowledge of International rules and standards applicable to offshore designs for offshore wind industry and oil & gas as well;
- Experience with geotechnical foundation design for driven/drilled piles and suction anchor foundations (incl. drivability);
- Good knowledge of English and preferably also Dutch (both written and verbal);
- Pro-active and problem solving attitude, analytic, flexible, team player.
What can you expect upon becoming staff?
Our client invests in staff by providing interesting projects and career paths along with educational opportunities to train and improve our employees competences. We have a market conform employment package including a competitive salary with a guaranteed salary increase by good performance, bonus based on company result, 30 vacation days (plus paid Dutch national holidays) and a defined pension contribution plan. Furthermore we offer good staff disability insurances of which the costs are borne by the client. At last we have a working from home policy to provide flexibility in both location and working hours.